Fruit flies are also easily dispatched with the Tennis Racket/Racket Bug Zapper that you can buy from http://www.thegiftedman.com.au/bug-zapper-tennis-racket for $10 each, so if you don’t like fruit flies flying into your fruit, there is definitely something you can do about it.
But all jokes aside, even though April is the month most well known for April 1st tomfoolery, the joke has been on me this month as I failed to find a presenter – but the Sydney PC User Group always has a backup presenter at the ready.
So,, here’s what we will learn about this month in a proper PowerPoint presentation with big images, videos, big text and colour:
1. The world’s slimmest computer – the MacBook – which Alex is reviewing in its resplendent gold colour, and which runs the Mac OS as nicely as it does Windows. We’ll take a look at the specs and the prices, and as the MacBook will be passed around the audience, everyone will get a chance to feel how incredibly light the computer is, and see how stunningly sharp the detail on the ‘Retina’-class 12-inch screen is.
2. We will have a look at the Apple Watch. Sadly I don’t have one as yet (and hopefully will by next month’s meeting) but there are some excellent short videos that explain how the watch works in various scenarios, and so we’ll take a look at those, as well as a selection of the 3000 apps that are available for it – which even includes banking apps from Westpac, St George, Commonwealth Bank and others!
3. Both Boost and Amaysim, Australia’s top two prepaid mobile network operators have released brand new plans that give even more value and more gigabytes of data for the same money, so we’ll take a quick look at what’s newly on offer.
4. We’ll take a look at the latest build of Windows 10, which is rumoured to be arriving for free download and free upgrade to Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 computers in June or July. We’ll see the new Start Menu and we’ll see ‘Cortana’ at work – the new voice activated personal digital assistant that can answer your questions, open programs, show you files and more.
5. Were you still interested in buying an Armourcard? I have a code I can share with you that works until the end of April to get a 10% discount, but after that, the discount is gone and you’ll need to get one from one of the retail stores in Australia that carries it (or buy it online at the full price).
6. The Waytools TextBlade keyboard – this is the equivalent of a full-size keyboard with full-size travel on the keys but is thinner than an iPhone. I’ve ordered one and can show it next month but we can see the short promotional video so you can see it for yourself.
7. Naturally, we’ll have the usual segments – Q&A, news, consumer reports, general business and the raffle.
I have various gadgets and knick knacks that I’ll be bringing to the Main Meeting for the raffle, so it will be a grab bag of stuff – a speaker, a charging station and various other things, so we definitely have some prizes on offer.
So… I hope to see you at April’s Main Meeting – and that’s no joke!